I know you guys are busy with mid-terms and other course work but don’t forget about the various accounting activities and the next BAP meeting.
4th — BAP meeting, Georgia Pacific: “Careers in Private Accounting” — Wednesday, Oct. 22nd, 6-7pm (Austin 222) — Food will be provided (see attached flyer)
TO JOIN BAP please complete the application at the meeting or http://www.osubap.com/
Please turn in your hours to Sarah Gibbons firstname.lastname@example.org
IMA Events for Fall Term:
1. IMA Study Socials- Every monday – 6-7PM – Austin 270 – PIZZA WILL BE PROVIDED – Bring your homework and an empty stomach! (These areoptional, but who’s really gonna pass up free pizza?!)
2. GROUP MEETING SPONSORED BY BAP — Georgia Pacific- Aust 222 – 6-7PM -Wednesday, October 22- Business casual
3. PGE Tour & Blazer Game -Friday, November 21st- 3:00PM – Midnight – We will be touring Portland General Electric’s corporate headquarters and attending a Blazer game afterwords! We will be buying the tickets for any IMA Student Members who attend the game!
***Please contact Grant for further information email@example.com*
WE NEED Volunteers — Opportunities (if you are BAP member you will earn service hours for participating):
**Change to job posting/searching at OSU**
OSU’s new site for finding off-site — full-time and internship opportunities.
1. Hello from Deloitte:
We hope the new school year is off to a great start for you! We are excited to connect on campus and want to make sure we get you all the information you need to apply to Deloitte this fall.
We’ll be on campus Monday, October 20th , with professionals from our Advisory practice to discuss the diverse opportunities we have currently available.
What: Deloitte Advisory Fall Recruiting Information Session
Date: Monday, October 20th
Time: 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Location: Austin Hall 222
Note: Pizza will be served!
Some handy applications instructions are as follows:
· Applications are due THIS Wednesday, October 22,. We highly recommend completing your application early to avoid missing the deadline due to last minute technical difficulties or unforeseen circumstances.
· As a reminder, you must apply through Beaver Careers, then follow the instructions included in the post to also apply through Deloitte’s website.
If you are unable to make the Information Session, please feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.
Campus Recruiter| Talent Acquisition
Deloitte Services LP
111 SW 5th Ave. Ste. 3900, Portland, OR 97204
Tel: +1 503 727 3009
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.deloitte.com
2. Part-time Intern.
A local CPA firm has four openings for accounting interns during Fall & Winter Terms. Work primarily involves administrative support including copying and assembling documents for tax returns. Sophomore & Junior accounting students preferred, but all with accounting/tax interest or experience are encouraged to apply. No prior accounting/office experience needed. Must be detail-oriented, and have strong oral and written communication skills. Must be available for two week training schedule in November 2014 with the actual employment start date in late January 2015. Hours worked by employee are somewhat flexible around school schedules; intern must be able to work at least 12 hours per work week. Winter break availability is not required. Additional hours are required during weeks and/or weekends prior to March 15th and April 15th deadlines
and during Spring break. Pay rate is at minimum wage.
Apply through Beaver Careers job posting #2902 or email cover letter and resume to: Lauren@taxandwealthmanagement.
Contact person: Lauren Loeffler.
Deadline for application: 5:00pm Monday October 27th
3. Georgia Pacific will be hiring between 2-4 interns for summer 2015. Please apply on Beaver Careers (Job ID 3056)
4. Boeing Internship — Please see attached documents. If you have any questions contact Kristine Wheeler ( a recent OSU Accounting Alumni)
Business Career Foundation Program
Financial Planning & Analysis | Investor Relations
W: (425)-234-5920 , M: (206)-427-4753
5. Berntson Porter, Bellevue, WA- We’re Hiring! (Job ID 2579 – 2582)
Are you interested in moving to the Seattle area? We are a mid-sized accounting firm located in Downtown Bellevue, WA. We are looking to hire 4 tax staff and 3 audit staff for fall 2015 start date. We currently have 4 Beaver Alumni at our firm and are hoping for that number to grow. If interested in learning more about us? Please visit our website atwww.bpcpa.com<http://www.
6. Clarus Water Solutions is looking for an accounting summer intern 2015. Please see attached flyer for details. The flyer mentions engineering but the email from the company mentions they would like to hire an accounting intern summer (2015).
7. OSU Staff Auditor (see attached flyer for details)
Interested in a recent graduate or possibly a Dec. 2014 graduate.
So you know what the profession is thinking
From the AICPA
How to Meet the 150-Hour Requirement
Many colleges and universities offer bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in accounting. To obtain 150 semester hours of education, students do not necessarily have to get a master’s degree. They can meet the requirement at the undergraduate level or get a bachelor’s degree and take some courses at the graduate level. Students can also choose any of the following:
Combine an undergraduate accounting degree with a master’s degree at the same school or at a different one;
Combine an undergraduate degree in some other discipline with a master’s in accounting or an MBA with a concentration in accounting;
Enroll in an integrated five-year professional accounting school or program leading to a master’s degree in accounting.
In most cases, the additional academic work needed to acquire the technical competence and develop the skills required by today’s CPA is best obtained at the graduate level. Graduate-level programs are an excellent way to more fully develop skills such as communication, presentation, and interpersonal relations, and to integrate them with the technical knowledge being acquired.
In addition, it has been shown that students who get a graduate education have a substantially higher rate of success on the Uniform CPA Examination. Further, master’s degree holders receive starting salaries that are approximately 10 to 20 percent higher than the starting salaries of those with only bachelor’s degrees. Finally, there is evidence that promotions to manager and partner and to corporate managerial positions are increasingly going to individuals with master’s degrees.
For these reasons, leading professional organizations such as the AICPA, the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy, and the Federation of Schools of Accountancy have consistently supported the 150-hour education requirement for entry into the accounting profession.
Professor of Accounting
424 Austin Hall