PLEASE SCROLL DOWN — THERE ARE MULTIPLE LOCAL (CORVALLIS) JOB OPPORTUNITIES
Personal & Professional Campus Events
Wed., Nov. 15th, 6-7pm in Austin Hall 274, Dinner included
“Join us for a very special meeting with Industry guests, Precision Cast Parts. Precision Cast Parts will be sharing some insight to managerial accounting in industry and the kinds of skills required for this work. Learn what it’s like to use an accounting degree in private industry. ” (please bring 2-3 cans of food for entrance if you you’d like to join us and your not a member)
“Beta Alpha Psi is organizing a food drive in order to benefit the local community through the Linn Benton food share. We are keeping a box on the 2nd floor of Austin Hall near our tutoring room (east side of the building) to collect cans and boxed goods for the food share. Please make sure your items are non-perishable, and please sign the sheet provided. This box will be placed in Austin hall by Wednesday November 8th and will remain in place until November 17th. Please stay tuned for an opportunity to volunteer with Beta Alpha Psi at a packing party for Linn Benton Food Share as well. We are looking forward to giving back to our local community and want to include any students interested in giving back as well. Those who sign the sheet will be entered for a chance to win a BAP t-shirt and some other goodies. You can also attend BAP’s meetings on November 8th and 15th if you bring 2 cans of food to the meeting even if you are not already a member of the club. You can enjoy dinner with us, a professional experience, and learn more about what BAP can offer you all while benefiting the local community. Thank you for joining us in our first food drive, something that we hope to make into a tradition in future years. ”
PwC Office Hours
PwC will on campus at Oregon State University for office hours, Nov. 14th! Stop by Austin Hall Room 124 (in the Career Success Center) at any time between 10:00am to 2:00pm to get your recruiting questions answered and to learn more about public accounting and PwC. There is no
agenda, so come by whenever it’s convenient for you!
ACCOUNTING Majors — the SIM club is inviting you to the meeting on Nov. 21st.
ISACA will be presenting on Nov. 21st., AH 270 at 6pm
The Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA) will present at SIM Club on Tue. Nov. 21st. ISACA is the organization that confers the well-regarded Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) and the CSX Cybersecurity certifications.
The BIS program has an interesting relationship with ISACA in two ways:
1. ISACA has recognized the BIS/Accounting double major program in that graduates from this double degree receive one year off of the CISA-required practical experience requirement.
2. The new BA480 (Information Security), offered in Spring 2018, is designed so that people who successfully complete that course should be able to sit for the CSX fundamentals certification.
Leadership & Scholarship Opportunities
1. OSCPA Educational Scholarship — Deadline is Jan. 15th, 2018 for 2018-2019 Scholarships ($1k-$3k scholarships).
2. PwC Explore event — see attached flyer
What is Explore?
PwC’s Explore program is an experience you don’t want to miss! Explore is a one day program focused on helping participants identify and analyze their strengths, values and passions to better understand
who they are and what they want to do. Students will learn alongside PwC professionals who will provide real-life examples of how they have enriched their careers by aligning their strengths, values and passions personally and professionally. Participants will leave Explore with a stronger sense of who they are, who PwC is and what future opportunities might exist for them in professional services.
PwC Portland Explore
Location: 805 SW Broadway, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97205*
Date: Monday, December 11
Time: 10:00am to 4:00pm
Summary of PwC events:
* Tuesday, November 14 — Office hours in Austin Hall 124 from 10:00am to 2:00pm
* Tuesday, November 28 — Study break with snacks in Austin Hall 124 from 10:00am to 2:00pm
* Monday, December 11 — We will be hosting a one-day program called Explore in our office this day (it’s the Monday immediately following finals week). Explore is a career discovery program intended for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors in a five-year program to learn more about the public accounting profession and about their own strengths, passions and values. Amy, you might remember helping me advertise this one last November — it is an especially beneficial program for students who are considering going through summer leadership recruiting in the winter/spring. The application deadline for Explore is Sunday, December 3.
3. IMA Field Trip of the year has been set. Friday, Feb 2, 2018 we will be going to Bob’s Red Mill.
Here is the schedule for the day:
• 9:15am arrive for a 9:30 tour (window tour so no need for special clothes or shoes)
• 10:30-11:30 meet with CFO Trey Winthrop (OSU alumni) in conference room for Q&A
• 11:45 lunch at Whole Grains Store Restaurant
Please email Dr. Akroyd to RSVP — 1st come 1st serve. Chris.Akroyd@bus.oregonstate.edu
1. Please consider joining Beta Alpha Psi http://www.osubap.com/officers/how-to-become-a-member/ Letter from the President of Beta Alpha Psi (Honors Accounting Society) for all current members and potential members. Oregon State University is the 5th national chapter of BAP established in 1922.
2. Please consider joining the IMA – Institute of Management Accountants. Membership is open to students for a reduced membership of $25. http://www.imaonlinestore.com/PersonifyEbusiness/Default.aspx?TabID=181&ProductId=8
Job & Internship Opportunities
FULL TIME & INTERNSHIP POSITIONS
1. A local law office Law Office of Kara Daley would like to hire someone to work 2-3 hours a week in her office preparing billing statements. If you are interested please email her directly email@example.com for more info.
2. Lindsey Hall (OSU Alumni) has a potential opportunity for a student. I have been the treasurer of a local non-profit, Mid-Valley Harvest, since mid-2015. My board term is up in January, and I am not planning to continue serving. I am in search of a replacement for myself. I think it would be a great opportunity for a student to apply principles they’ve learned in school. Our budget is very small (~$5k in 2017) and we only have a few transactions monthly, so nothing incredibly advanced is required. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org If a student is interested in the position, I would prefer to find a local student who will be around for a few years and not leave for the entire summer. send resume and interest to email@example.com
3. FULL TIME LOCAL
RECENT ACCOUNTING GRADUATES – CONSIDER STARTING YOUR CAREER AT OSU
OSU business centers hire recent graduates into Accountant 1 positions. The Accountant 1 employs generally accepted accounting principles to record, classify and interpret revenue, expenditure, and other business data. A Bachelor’s degree with 30 quarter hours of college-level Accounting and no experience is one of the options to qualify to apply for a position. The current minimum salary is $3,333 per month and the positions include medical, retirement and tuition benefits. If you or you know someone that is interested in joining an organization that values diversity, the University Administrative Business Center has two current openings. Please consider applying to the position that has a significant payroll component or the position that has a more traditional accounting focus or both. These positions close November 26th. These positions are listed on the OSU employment opportunities website.
4. LOCAL INTERNSHIP WITH POSSIBILITIES FOR FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT AT GRADUATION
Tax and Wealth Management would like to hire 5-10 interns to work during tax season. This is a local firm (located near Winco). Beyond the internship the firm would like to hire a few students full time depending on interest to stay in Corvallis and grow the firm. This is an amazing multiple year experience. See flyer next week but for now — If your interested in a PAID internship in Corvallis during winter term please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.