Personal & Professional Campus Events
BAP/IMA Meeting — Delap will host “How to Build an Effective Network”
Tuesday, Nov. 28th, in Austin Hall 222, Dinner included
Join us on Tuesday November 28th in AH 222 for a meeting with Delap who will be presenting on effective networking the business community. This meeting is for BAP/IMA members only, but you can attend by contributing 2 cans of food or $5 to our fall food drive. Come to our last meeting of the term and share your thoughts on what you want from BAP in 2018!
The extra event will be:
BAP Social media workshop. 6:00-7:00 on Nov 29th., Austin Hall 200 (Members only)
Get help on your LinkedIn profile including tips that will help you present your brand to potential employers. Also apply strategies to grow your professional network.
BAP Members See attached document — email sent by BAP President Aaron Hiddleson
Leadership & Scholarship Opportunities
2. PwC Explore event — see attached flyer
What is Explore?
PwC’s Explore program is an experience you don’t want to miss! Explore is a one day program focused on helping participants identify and analyze their strengths, values and passions to better understand
who they are and what they want to do. Students will learn alongside PwC professionals who will provide real-life examples of how they have enriched their careers by aligning their strengths, values and passions personally and professionally. Participants will leave Explore with a stronger sense of who they are, who PwC is and what future opportunities might exist for them in professional services.
PwC Portland Explore
Location: 805 SW Broadway, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97205*
Date: Monday, December 11
Time: 10:00am to 4:00pm
Summary of PwC events:
* Tuesday, November 28 — Study break with snacks in Austin Hall 124 from 10:00am to 2:00pm
* Monday, December 11 — We will be hosting a one-day program called Explore in our office this day (it’s the Monday immediately following finals week). Explore is a career discovery program intended for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors in a five-year program to learn more about the public accounting profession and about their own strengths, passions and values. Amy, you might remember helping me advertise this one last November — it is an especially beneficial program for students who are considering going through summer leadership recruiting in the winter/spring. The application deadline for Explore is Sunday, December 3.
3. IMA Field Trip of the year has been set. Friday, Feb 2, 2018 we will be going to Bob’s Red Mill.
Here is the schedule for the day:
• 9:15am arrive for a 9:30 tour (window tour so no need for special clothes or shoes)
• 10:30-11:30 meet with CFO Trey Winthrop (OSU alumni) in conference room for Q&A
• 11:45 lunch at Whole Grains Store Restaurant
Please email Dr. Akroyd to RSVP — 1st come 1st serve. Chris.Akroyd@bus.oregonstate.edu
1. Please consider joining Beta Alpha Psihttp://www.osubap.com/officers/how-to-become-a-member/Letter from the President of Beta Alpha Psi (Honors Accounting Society) for all current members and potential members. Oregon State University is the 5th national chapter of BAP established in 1922.
2. Please consider joining the IMA – Institute of Management Accountants. Membership is open to students for a reduced membership of $25. http://www.imaonlinestore.com/PersonifyEbusiness/Default.aspx?TabID=181&ProductId=8
Job & Internship Opportunities
The Oregon State University Foundation seeks an Accounting student worker to help with: data entry, event/facility support, general ledger recording, special projects and general office duties such as copying, filing and scanning. Up to 20 hours per week. This position is open immediately with preference given to applicants from the College of Business who have an interest in continuing work throughout the 2017-18 academic year.
RECENT ACCOUNTING GRADUATES – CONSIDER STARTING YOUR CAREER AT OSU
OSU business centers hire recent graduates into Accountant 1 positions. The Accountant 1 employs generally accepted accounting principles to record, classify and interpret revenue, expenditure, and other business data. A Bachelor’s degree with 30 quarter hours of college-level Accounting and no experience is one of the options to qualify to apply for a position. The current minimum salary is $3,333 per month and the positions include medical, retirement and tuition benefits. If you or you know someone that is interested in joining an organization that values diversity, the University Administrative Business Center has two current openings. Please consider applying to the position that has a significant payroll component or the position that has a more traditional accounting focus or both. These positions close November 26th. These positions are listed on the OSU employment opportunities website.
1. A local law office Law Office of Kara Daley would like to hire someone to work 2-3 hours a week in her office preparing billing statements. If you are interested please email her directly firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
2. Lindsey Hall (OSU Alumni) has a potential opportunity for a student. I have been the treasurer of a local non-profit, Mid-Valley Harvest, since mid-2015. My board term is up in January, and I am not planning to continue serving. I am in search of a replacement for myself. I think it would be a great opportunity for a student to apply principles they’ve learned in school. Our budget is very small (~$5k in 2017) and we only have a few transactions monthly, so nothing incredibly advanced is required. Please reach out to email@example.com If a student is interested in the position, I would prefer to find a local student who will be around for a few years and not leave for the entire summer. send resume and interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
3. LOCAL INTERNSHIP WITH POSSIBILITIES FOR FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT AT GRADUATION
Tax and Wealth Management would like to hire 5-10 interns to work during tax season. This is a local firm (located near Winco). Beyond the internship the firm would like to hire a few students full time depending on interest to stay in Corvallis and grow the firm. This is an amazing multiple year experience. See flyer next week but for now — If your interested in a PAID internship in Corvallis during winter term please email your resume to email@example.com